Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's . . . er "Male Role Model" Day!

In honor of Father's Day, I though I'd reprint this post from last year, on why a "male role model" is no substitute for a father:

--

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing things that treat being a father as just a "male role model."

A father is not a male role model. A father is an adult male that a child knows:
a) will take a bullet for them.
b) will work hard for many, many years, doing things he may or may not like, in order to provide a loving, secure home for his wife and children.
c) loves the child enough to consider the well-being of that child the foundation of his worth as a person.

You can be a male role model if you teach a kid how to ride a bike, throw a curve ball, learn a trade or act on a date - all good and wonderful things. Fatherhood is an irrevocable, lifetime commitment to sacrifice - with grace and pride - for the benefit of a child. A child derives great benefit knowing that someone made those sacrifices for them.

4 comments:

Tina R.F.H. said...

Happy Fathers Day to you. Excellent commentary.

Sweating Through fog said...

Thanks, Tina

DBB said...

Happy Father's Day - funnily enough, I was too busy being a father Sunday to even notice it was Father's day - my four month old son and nearly three-year old daughter kept me quite busy most of the day.

Sweating Through fog said...

DBB,

A belated Happy father's Day to you too. While I miss those times when my children were small, I dont miss all the hard work!