Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Shameless "Pregnancy Pact"

I hope this is some sort of hoax, but nothing really surprises me anymore. So a group of High School girls make a "pregnancy pact" and many of them successfully achieve their goal.

Just unbelievable. So a decade or so from now some child is going to learn that their existence is due not to the love of two people, but to a some childish dare. And, by the way - I don't know who your dad is - he was just some homeless guy. Those may be the lucky ones - to me it seems quite possible some of the girls will have abortions.

And by the way - momma did all this so she can can be the recipient, not the provider, of "unconditional love!"

But Amanda Ireland, who graduated from Gloucester High on June 8, thinks she knows why these girls wanted to get pregnant. Ireland, 18, gave birth her freshman year and says some of her now pregnant schoolmates regularly approached her in the hall, remarking how lucky she was to have a baby. "They're so excited to finally have someone to love them unconditionally,"


I can tell how this is going to go down. Lots of blame will focus on the homeless guy. He'll be charged with statutory rape, and I guess, being homeless, he'll have a hard time paying mandated child support. The other "fathers" will be treated similarly. So we'll have more "deadbeat dads."

The Time article skillfully probes into to the root causes of this. Jobs are moving overseas - so it is clearly George Bush's fault. Not to mention the primitive, third-world conditions:

Currently Gloucester teens must travel about 20 miles (30 km) to reach the nearest women's health clinic; younger girls have to get a ride or take the train and walk.

And I read this at almost the same time I read this Hugo Schwyzer post saying how terrible it would be to shame women that get pregnant without being married.

4 comments:

synic said...

They should watch the Baby Borrowers, although it is sadly now too late for them.

Belle Gunness said...

Actually, no, the "lucky ones" would be the fetuses that were aborted. Contrary to pro-lie rhetoric, "innashent unborrrrrn baaayyyyybeeeez" don't feel pain.

Anonymous said...

This is completely off topic.

You know, I'm pro-choice, but I've never got the rhetoric of spelling baby as "baybee" to mock pro-lifers.

I mean, isn't that how your pronounce baby? Is there some super-secret correct way to pronounce baby that I've been missing out on all these years?

The Chief said...

Since this story broke there's been some doubt. The girls deny there was a pact, the Time reporter who originally broke the story stands by it. I'm not sure which one is more likely to lie...a teenage girl or a mainstream media reporter. It's right up there with "sound of one hand clapping" on the unanswerability scale.

Regardless of the veracity of the pact, this story has done one thing for me...it has made me redouble my efforts to shelter my income from taxes, to look for untaxable revenue streams, etc, etc. As a widowed father of two I'm currently in a pretty tax-advantaged situation and I'm going to do everything within my power to hang on to that--max out my 401k, my roth IRA, hang on to every receipt from charitable contributions and so forth.

I'm not going to pay to support these idiots and their feral offspring. I simply refuse.